Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Life is a Journey- Get Your Mind Right


When I started this journey, I was disgusted. Disgusted that I had let myself get so far out of control. Disgusted because nothing seemed to be going in the right direction for me. I started by saying that I hide a LOT behind a GOOD meal, a GOOD snack. I submerge myself in STUFF. I bet I volunteer for more than 20 things, plus I have a kid. Every night of the week I am committed to doing SOMETHING, but few of those commitments involve ME. So January 2013, I committed to ME. I had spent much of 2012 feeling stressed out and depressed. I hid it well though. Even my closest friends didn't know what I was feeling.





 I like doing things. I like being busy, I like being surrounded by  people,  but I had to reevaluate the nature of my busyness. How was I being fulfilled. I had to focus more on ME and less on saving the WORLD. Ha!!, very much easier said than done. When that is what you are used to doing, it is hard to turn the focus on yourself. But my doctor had said the words that rocked me to my core, so I had to TRY. I changed my eating habits some. I pulled out my old Weight Watchers point system, and I committed to walking EVERY day. My doctor told me to plan for success, so I should pick a time to exercise that I knew I would be able to commit to. So, I chose LUNCH TIME. Like I NEVER give up my lunch time. I decided that I would take a 30 minute walk and then eat for 30 minutes. I mapped out a walking route and changed into my workout clothes every day and hit the pavement. Before long, I could do 2 miles in that 30 minutes. I was like WHHHAAATTTT??? Then I increased my route, tried to go faster to finish in time. Then the UNTHINKABLE happened. I said, "I wonder if I can jog to that sign?". I did it and didn't feel like my chest was going to fall out. So, walk/running became my thing.

I couldn't believe it. ME, the person that wouldn't walk to the mailbox was doing 3-4 miles EVERY day. I didn't invite co-workers because this journey is about ME. I didn't want to get dependent on other folks to do it with me because when they didn't, then I wouldn't. I would go to the locker room, change my clothes, and put on my headphones and hit the street. Then people started joining me. The company is OK, but I had to let them know from the beginning; this is about ME. If I walk too fast or too slow, that's OK, do YOU because I am doing ME. Many people join me now, but they all know, I don't wait for ya. You either ready or you not. I don't particularly like to talk either.

I like being outside. It is my uninterrupted time with GOD. I don't have to consider anyone else, but ME. I can talk to God in any manner, and say any THING I want to to HIM when I am on the pavement. I admire the beauty that HE has made and I thank HIM for HIS Grace and Mercy. Each and EVERY time I am able to use my limbs without inhibition, I am thankful.


Starting the New Year off Right
We have committed to
a half marathon in 2015.
So, get your mind right and embrace this journey. Find your THING. For now, mine is run/walking and Linedancing. I let NOTHING interfere with me getting my miles in and doing my weekly dancing. I find the opportunity. If I am waiting on my daughter, I put on my sneakers and circle the parking lot a few times. I walk to errands during lunch; the bank, the post office, to get my lunch.  Find YOUR THING. Find the thing that makes you feel accomplished when you finish, challenge yourself to do more, do better, BE better. Drag some people along with you, or NOT, but get off the sofa. I have drug some wonderful friends along with me on all kinds of CRAZY walks and adventures, and we are having a ball. We challenge each other. We support each other and we do activities that we may not like, but we do it for our Sistah. Well, mostly they do it for me and I appreciate them. remember when your momma used to say, you can't hang with them because ya'll don't have the same values. Exercise and eating right is the same.
I can't hang with you, if you are not willing to help me on my journey. Plain and Simple.....
My longest run thus far.
ATL Hot Chocolate 15K
My Very first run. GA 400 4Miler.
I didn't know what I had gotten in to..lol

we did a kick ass relay
So much fun
Me and my daughter at
 the Diabetes Walk
My running buddy. We have done a lot
 of races together

So, Life is a Journey. Not a destination. There are no mistakes, just chances we take...

Take a chance. Take a chance on YOU. I bet you will be GLAD you did.













5 comments:

  1. What an amazing testimony. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I'm proud of my AUNTIE! I must say I'm now on the path with you to be fit and healthy! I'm excited at how far you've come and how far you will go! "Doing me in 2015!" Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Ya back...
      do it while you are YOUNG... Trust me, do it NOW :-)

      You know I got you....

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete